Where on the PCT is Joel?


View Joel's PCT Hike in a larger map

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Victory Lap

Greetings persevering blog readers!

I am currently taking my final day off in the tiny town of Stehekin, just 89 miles south of the northern terminus of the PCT. Hikers call this last stretch "the victory lap." We're not quite finished yet, but there is definitely a spirit of celebration among the few remaining hikers who have made it this far.

The past few weeks have been wonderful. My good friend Cuidado caught up to me and we've had beautiful weather throughout a section known for its rain. The rugged scenery of the North Cascades has been spectacular! We've seen bear, elk, deer, pika, and marmots. We've watched amazing sunrises and sunsets over alpine lakes, and eaten our fill of the wild blueberries and huckleberries that cover entire hillsides. We've scrambled through 20 miles of damaged trail full of washed-out bridges and downed trees, and stood in awe as we watched dense fog roll through mountain valleys hundreds of feet below us.

It's hard to believe that I'm so close to done. Unless something very unexpected happens, Cuidado and I will be at the Canadian border on the 19th, to Manning Park in British Columbia on the 20th, and I'll be home on the 22nd - just one week from today. My emotions are all confused inside me: never have I been so excited and so sad at the same time. I can't wait to get home, start living with my wife again, and reconnect with people in the Minneapolis area. On the other hand, I'm mourning the end of this crazy, brutal, spectacular adventure. It will certainly be a challenge to learn how to maintain a life of adventure while building a career and paying a mortgage.

By the time I post again I will have completed my hike and started a new chapter in living a life of adventure with my wife. Stay tuned for my post-hike thoughts and reflections as well as pictures from the final few weeks. Thanks again for all your support over the past few months!

Joel

3 comments:

  1. Incredible! You are almost there!
    I will keep praying --
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad says: Almost to the monument. Savor the moment. What an incredible journey from Campo at the Mexican border. We looked so "fresh" on the pictures there. A couple thousand miles removes the freshness. Will any of your clothes be salvagable?

    See you soon. Enjoy the victory lap. By the by, you still owe me a leg rub.

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes you're near the end but the real question around here is how many Shoes have you gone through?

    -Keith

    ReplyDelete