Where on the PCT is Joel?


View Joel's PCT Hike in a larger map

Monday, September 7, 2009

End-of-the-tunnel syndrome

Greetings dry blog readers!

I am currently in Snoqualmie Pass, just 260 miles south of Manning Park, BC. As you might guess, I've had quite a bit of rain in the last few days and am very much enjoying being inside and drying out.

Originally I wasn't planning on taking a day off in Snoqualmie Pass. However, last night I was talking with my father-in-law, Alvin Wissink, who is always full of practical wisdom. He warned me against what he called "end-of-the-tunnel syndrome." Alvin said that when people are walking in a dark tunnel they proceed carefully and watch their steps, but as soon as they see the light at the end of the tunnel they tend to speed up and are more reckless. According to Alvin, it's when the light at the end of the tunnel is visible that the most mistakes happen and most problems occur. I thought about that for a long time after I got off the phone with Alvin, and realized that I've been pushing way too hard in Washington. So ... I'm taking a day off. The last thing I want is to get lost or injured this close to the end.

The buzz over the last few days has been a wildfire which is just north of here. Unfortunately it has burned a significant portion of one valley and the PCT is closed for about 15 miles through that area. The good news (very good news) is that there is an alternate route that hikers can take which, while not the official PCT, will still allow me to continue the unbroken northbound footpath that I started at the Mexican border.

One highlight that I wanted to share is that a few days I've passed through amazing huckleberry and blueberry fields. I've picked tons of berries as I've hiked, and it's been a lot of fun and has brought some excitement to the otherwise rainy days. I could have picked and ate berries all day long and not gotted tired of it.

Two more weeks until Canada!

Joel

2 comments:

  1. This is from Laurel:

    I just read a devotional in Our Daily Bread, and I thought of you. It was
    about The Little Engine That Could, with the positive chant, "I think I can,
    I think I can." Then as it gained more resolve, it declared, "I know I can.
    I know I can." The devotional was about how we, because of God's power, can
    do whatever He asks of us, through Him. Basing our confidence not in our
    own abilities, but in God's absolute promises. Anyway, as I read it, I
    thought of you. So close to your goal. And I pray that "with exceedingly
    more power than the little engine could ever muster, we can say, 'I know I
    can. I know I can--because of Jesus.'" That's my prayer for you until you
    reach the final step.

    Laurel Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is from Dad:

    Wow! Getting really close now. It would be awesome to hike the last stretch with you, but going 25-30 miles a day like nothin', you would leave me in the dust. Well, no dust there right now, but you know what I mean.

    Forgot to tell you yesterday that Alberto Flores finished 14th in Primal Quest. Took like 14 days, with the winner doing it in 12, and late finishers around 18. Cool that we met him.

    Keep on truckin', and being safe and smart. Girl Scout said to try to find something good about each day.

    Keep being positive and looking for how God will mold you and use you.

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete