Where on the PCT is Joel?


View Joel's PCT Hike in a larger map

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Canada at last!

Greetings supportive blog readers!

I'm happy to announce that after a full five months of hiking, I finally arrived at the Canadian border on Saturday morning!

First things first: to my former coworkers at aCoupleofGurus.com who have bets going as to how many pairs of shoes I would go through on my hike, the final count is six. In case anyone is curious how my other gear held up, I have holes in my sixth pair of shoes and my tenth pair of socks. My gaiters also have holes. My pack has been repaired in five different places with duct tape, safety pins, dental floss, and two different colors of thread. My sleeping bag smells like a locker room. The holes in my pant legs got so bad that I finally just zipped them off and got rid of them. One of the twist-locks on my trekking poles is failing and needs to be tightened every 15 or 20 minutes. Mice have chewed seven different holes in my food bag, as well as chewing up the handles on my trekking poles. Several seams in my poncho-tarp shelter are coming undone. My sunglasses are scratched to the point where visibility is impaired, and I've never owned a piece of clothing as stained as my hiking shirt (my wife has made a polite but strong request that this shirt be thrown away).

Currently I'm at the home of my sister Hannah and her husband Matt in Tacoma, Washington. I'm drinking my beloved decaf coffee and wearing cotton clothing that I borrowed from Matt. My body continues to insist that I wake up at 5:30 am like I did on the trail, so I'm pretty tired in addition to being very sore. However, I'm happy! I hiked every single step in a continuous footpath all the way from the Mexican border to the Canadian border without taking any shortcuts. The majority of hikers who attempt this end up quitting for one reason or another, and not many who make it to the Canadian border do so without skipping any sections. As such, I'm extremely proud to be among the few 2009 hikers who can claim a literal continuous footpath.

Tomorrow I fly back to Minneapolis to join my wife in celebrating our second anniversary. Once I get settled in a bit I'll post more thoughts/feelings/reflections/pictures.

Thanks for cheering me on through this adventure!

Joel

6 comments:

  1. w00T!! Well done. Six pairs of shoes, pure madness! When things quiet down for you and family time has been repaid. Give me a call/email to meet up to celebrate and catch-up (lunch or happy hour)!

    Seb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Sebastian's sentiment. Congratulations to you upon the successful completion of your adventure. I am in awe of your dedication and perseverance. Congratulations on your anniversary and I look forward to celebrating your homecoming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disco,
    Congratulations!!! It seems like so long ago when we first met you at Barrel Springs!! Amazing, you did it.
    Thanks for sharing your hike. It reminded me to make sure and practice the advise I give. You did a fantastic job.
    TAKE Care,
    Tarzan and Zelda

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an inspiration to me, Joel.
    Watching you bring your dream to reality over the course of many years -- and then many miles -- has been a gift to all of us.
    I look forward to hearing about your next adventures ... not the least of which is your second year of marriage with Amy!
    Joy in the journey,
    Lelan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on fulfilling your dream. It was great to meet you and see you in Central Oregon. Good luck and enjoy your time with your wife!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Joel! What an amazing accomplishment for you. I'm happy you made it to your destination safely.

    The dedication and determination that is (obviously) a part of your soul will undoubtedly bless your marriage.

    I'm looking forward to your after-thoughts and added pictures!!

    ReplyDelete