Where on the PCT is Joel?


View Joel's PCT Hike in a larger map

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Still alive, still happy

Greetings loyal blog readers! I am currently in southern California in a town called Idyllwild taking a day off. My dad just left, so tomorrow the solo hiking starts.

The last few weeks have been great! It was a lot of fun to have my dad with me for the first 180 miles, we had great weather, met a lot of fun people, I have a grand total of zero blisters, and overall spirits are high. My hair is getting long enough so the wind can blow in it, which is something I haven't experienced in five years since the last time my dad and I hiked for two weeks. It's kind of odd. However, I've showered and am clean, so all is well.

The next section of trail goes up near the San Jacinto peak in a place called Fuller Pass. Apparently it's a still covered in snow, and some hikers are choosing to skip ahead. I'm going to go for it and see what happens. Fuller Pass is only about 8 miles out of town, so if I get there and decide I can't pass through safely I can turn around and come back to town pretty easily.

My dad is bringing back an SD card full of pictures, so hopefully within a week or so there will be some pictures up here.

Thanks for all your prayers and support!

Joel

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeping us updated bro!! The fact that you've gone this far is amazing!! Keep up the hard work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Joel. It makes my day to read your blogs. In fact. yours is the first blog i've ever read with any regularity. I was so inspired I started my own blog. Not as much fun as yours though. I'll continute to enjoy reading your real life adventure and praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got off the trail with Joel yesterday (seems like forever now). We hiked 180 miles together, and he is doing great. We had some incredible experiences, along with some really hard work , but body, mind, and spirit have all held up well. Great people on the trail. Surprising beauty in the desert. We will get pictures to Amy to select some for the blog.

    Continue to pray. There is a long way to go, and new experiences each day which you just can't completely prepare for. Pray that he will continue to be used by God (a couple of really cool things have happened already).

    Dave/Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joel --
    It was great to look at the pictures with Dad and to actually see where you have been and what it is like. Great idea to take a picture each night and each Sunday! Keep walking -- one day at a time.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Hiker Hubby --

    I enjoyed going to the airport with your mom on Saturday to pick up your dad. Thanks for the gifts you sent with him from Idllywild. I LOVE the toe rings! I'm anxious to seeing the pictures from the first 180 miles. Can't wait to see the ones of your hair blowing in the wind ... :) I saw some pictures of San Jacinto peak on Google Earth. Looks like a beautiful mountain to climb. Hope you can get through the snow and see the view. I believe in you!!

    Much love, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tonight you stopped near Mission Creek Road. How far did you go today?? It looks like a long ways! Thinking about you and praying for you!
    One day at a time --

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to talk to you today. Sounds like you're doing well and should be to Wrightwood in the next day or two. Hang in there with the heat and take your siestas and gatorade. You're getting closer to Canada every day! Say "hi" to our hiking friends. Don LeClere says "hi"; thinks it's awesome that you're doing the PCT. / Dad

    ReplyDelete