Where on the PCT is Joel?


View Joel's PCT Hike in a larger map

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Last day of work!


Here's a photo that Amy took when I got home from my last day of work (notice the slight belly that I try to hide with only moderate success).

I was the first employee at aCoupleofGurus.com and worked there for six years. Like a lot of startups, we worked in the owner's basement and garage as well as coffee shops. Several years later we had an office, a dozen people, and I was the Operations Manager running all the day to day aspects of the company. Leaving has been difficult: it felt very strange to transition all my responsibilities to other people and power down my laptop for the final time.

Tomorrow the hiking starts! My dad and I have done a lot of backpacking together over the years, and he's going to join me for the first 150 miles of trail. We'll fly into San Diego, be picked up by a former hiker called Girlscout, ride with him out to the southern end of the trail, and hopefully be hiking by 5:00 or so. Wow.

I'm very excited to start this adventure, nervous about attempting such a huge feat, and sad about leaving my wife for five months. Fortunately I'm more excited than nervous and sad, and fortunately Amy is an amazing woman who will miss me but is fully supporting this adventure.

I hope to have this site updated every couple weeks with photos and such, but I make no guarantees. Thanks for your interest and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment